This presentation will provide you with the essential tools to provide cross-cultural communication to optimize the counseling encounter. You will be able to perform a thorough cultural assessment and provide a targeted cultural intervention.
Educational Objectives: At the end of this session, participants will be able to:
- Define cultural competency: Common assumptions in healthcare and how to address them
- Describe 3 steps to achieve cultural competency
- Select the precise communication tool to provide optimal care for clients from every culture
Target audience: Registered Dietitian/Nutritionists, Certified Diabetes Educators who are Registered Nurses, Pharmacists, Nurse Practitioners, Clinical Nurse Specialists, Physician Assistants, Physicians and other health care professionals working with persons with diabetes.
Speaker Lorena Drago, MS, RDN, CDN, CDE
Author of the books:
- Beyond Rice and Beans: The Caribbean Guide to Eating Well with Diabetes
- 15-Minute Consultation: Tips, Tools, and Activities to Make your Nutrition Counseling More Effective
- Contributing author and co-editor of the book Cultural Food Practices and Diabetes
- Print Communications Chair of the Diabetes Care and Education Specialty Practice Group of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (2012-2015)
- Department Editor for American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE) In Practice
- Winner of the Diabetic Living People’s Choice Award in 2012
Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR)
Registered dietitians (RDs) and dietetic technicians, registered (DTRs) will receive 1.0 continuing professional education units (CPEUs) for completion of this program.
Certified Diabetes Educators
The Commission on Dietetic Registration is an approved provider of the National Certification Board for Diabetes Educator. Certified Diabetes Educators can use this continuing professional education units (CPEUs) for renewal of certification.
Statement of Credit: Your statement of credit will be issued upon completion of the program. Email Lorena@diabetesontheweb.com for additional information.