Hispanic Foodways is 100% Hispanic owned with a team of professionals expert in the areas of medicine, health literacy, nutrition, and diabetes education.
Create and adapt education materials that “speak” to different Latino subgroups.
- I develop menus preserving the tastes, traditions and food preferences of the diverse Latin American diet. View a sample of the type of menus that I have created.
I create calorie-controlled and carbohydrate-consistent menus for Mexican-Americans, Cuban-Americans, and Puerto Ricans. Menus highlight traditional and traditional inspired dishes recreated to preserve regional food predilections infused with a healthier spin without compromising taste.
I develop and implement multicultural diabetes and nutrition education programs. Below are a couple examples of the types of programs I can develop. Each situation is unique. Let me develop the right program for you.
Example 1: Go Food Shopping with a Latina Nutrition Expert
Example 2: Diabetes Education Program in Health Center Waiting Room Improves Health Literacy
Create culturally appropriate diabetes and pre-diabetes education lessons and education materials.
Example: Pre-Diabetes Education Curriculum
Developed and designed nutrition and lifestyle behavior pre-diabetes curriculum. The curriculum was designed to:
- Help participants improve their blood glucose control and manage their weight.
- Focus on physical activity, heart healthy eating and strategies to achieve self-management goals.
- Address cultural competency. Included culturally specific handouts and activities aimed to include Hispanic health beliefs, food and family traditions.
Provide health care professionals with the knowledge, skills, and resources to work effectively with culturally diverse populations.
- Train student to facilitate patient education in waiting rooms using health literacy principles
- Train community health workers to assist in the provision of health education, nutrition, and diabetes self-management in waiting rooms
Hispanic Foodways considers that education should lead into action. Hispanic Foodways promotes health literacy, and cultural competency as core elements to effectively to enhance diabetes self-management skills.
Hispanic Foodways major competitive strengths are:
- Experience developing multicultural diabetes education programs
- Creation of bi-lingual (English/Spanish) curriculums and educational material
- Health literacy focused
- Cultural competent coaching
- Trains staff to provide culturally competent health care