15 Minute Consultation:
Tips, Tools and Activities to Make your Nutrition Counseling More Effective
By Lorena Drago, MS, RD, CDN, CDE
Are you looking for ideas to convey nutrition and health information that patients can implement once they leave your office?
You teach and teach, but how can you ensure that your patients understand and retain information?
Written for the nutrition educator, the 15 Minute Consultation has a wealth of simple techniques, tips, and real-life examples to help you effectively communicate with patients, especially when time is short.
Throughout the book, I give examples based on my classes and one-on-one consultations, plus I will share advice on how to develop educational handouts for your patients and make them actionable. You will also find some ready-to-use lessons centered on frequently discussed health and nutrition topics.
I invite you to join me as an active participant and incorporate this information into your own practice.
After reading this book, it is my hope that you will be able to:
- Streamline your counseling sessions and sharpen your counseling skills
- Introduce new health and nutrition concepts to your patients in three easy and short steps
- Present nutrition and health information so that your patients will retain most of it
- Apply the “teach-back” technique to test a patient’s knowledge and skills after a counseling session
Table of Contents
- Stream your Counseling Sessions and Sharpen your Counseling Skills
- Introduce New Health and Nutrition Concepts in Three Easy Steps
- Present Nutrition and Health Information for Patient Retention
- Apply the “Teach-Back” Technique After a Counseling Session
- How to Teach Common Nutrition Messages
- How to Write Easy and Common Nutrition Messages
- Goal Setting