Beyond Rice and Beans
The Caribbean Latino Guide to Eating Healthy with Diabetes
By Lorena Drago, MS, RDN, CDN, CDE
Written in English & Spanish, Beyond Rice and Beans is a long-awaited resource for dietitians/nutritionists and diabetes educators and people who want to manage their diabetes but don’t want to sacrifice the mainstay of their cultural identity.
Included are a Latin American food dictionary, advice on handling holiday meals including alcoholic beverages. More than 10 percent of Latin Americans suffer from diabetes, yet when it comes to effectively developing meal plans that fit the savory tastes and favorite foods of Latin American cultures, diabetes educators and people with diabetes have been at a loss, until now. Written in Spanish and English, it features menu plans specifically designed for the Latin American palate from all over the Caribbean. Whether it’s mofongo (plantain dish) or carne guisada (beef stew), this pioneering book shows Latin Americans with diabetes how they can easily design meal plans that fit into a healthy lifestyle without giving up taste or familiar staples.
- The Basics – All about protein and fat…
- Carbohydrate – How to count carbohydrates
- Fruits and Vegetables of the Caribbean – Luscious and delicious – and how many carbs? Fiber?
- Cuisines of the Caribbean – Cuban, Puerto Rican or Dominican… all fit in a diabetes meal plan
- Putting Together Your Meal Plan – Fill your plate with hearty health and goodness
- Mastering the Art of Label and Package Reading – Pick this not that using food label
- The Hispanic Food Market – Tips for healthy food shopping
- Holidays – When you go to a party…. even dessert tips
- Food Glossary of Caribbean Cooking – From Avocados to Zapote…