This is a simple method to teach carbohydrate counting using menus. Follow these simple steps:
- Copy a diner menu (You can use a menu from your favorite restaurant)
- Distribute copies of menu to patients and provide them with a budget (women 45-60g per meal; men 60-75g per meal).
- Instruct patients to select any food item on the menu and stay within their assigned CARB BUDGET
- Using Wite-out, erase prices on the menu and replace them with “CARBOHYDRATE PRICES”
- Use www.calorieking.com or www.nutritiondata.com to obtain nutrition composition of foods
- Refer to slide titled, “DINER CARBOHYDRATE TEACHING TOOL“
- Provide new menu with carbohydrate prices (amounts) to patients
- Provide patients with a CARBOHYDRATE BUDGET; 45-75 grams for the meal
- Ask them to select foods from the menu while staying within their allowable CARBOHYDRATE BUDGET
Nutriportion ™ Measuring Cups (Set)
Find the calorie, food exchange and carbohydrate of your favorite foods on these colorful measuring cups.